We are happy to announce a new release of Crosswalk App Tools, our stand-alone packaging tool based on node.js. This release has everything you need to package your web application with Crosswalk for Android in the simplest way.
Many of our users build Crosswalk applications using one of the several frameworks that integrate Crosswalk, but with App Tools we want to provide a separate tool for developers to quickly package their web apps with Crosswalk and take advantage of all the Crosswalk features, like extensions and Web Manifest.
We encourage users of the make_apk script to move to the Crosswalk App Tools as we will be deprecating make_apk by the end of the year.
- A new tool that makes packaging as easy as typing
- Support of Chrome Devtools for debug-build packages through chrome://inspect/ enables real-world production use.
- Vastly improved support for configuring web apps using the W3C Web Manifest through manifest.json. For details please refer to our documentation.
Installation and Usage
- Microsoft Windows:
npm install -g crosswalk-app-tools
- Apple OS X and Linux:
sudo npm install -g crosswalk-app-tools
Complete instructions can be found online:
For a command reference, please refer to our documentation, or the tool’s own help output:
Additional Target Platforms
Crosswalk-app-tools supports additional target platforms through installable modules. We have forthcoming implementations for
- Crosswalk on iOS: https://github.com/crosswalk-project/crosswalk-app-tools-ios
- Crosswalk on Debian Linux https://github.com/crosswalk-project/crosswalk-app-tools-deb
- Crosswalk on Windows will be enabled in the next release.
How to Contribute
We welcome contributions! The source code is available on Github under an Apache 2.0 license: https://github.com/crosswalk-project/crosswalk-app-tools. To get started, see the list of issues in the "App Tools" component in Jira.
Get more hybrid app secrets
Build powerful hybrid apps for Android or Cordova / PhoneGap more reliably with tips from the Intel Crosswalk team.